Rare mention of 70mm as "a vanishing film format"

Digital mage editing, video, 3D models, A.I., traditional photography
admin
Site Admin

Rare mention of 70mm as "a vanishing film format"

Post by admin »

You don't see too much about photo and film preservation in the mainstream media... this item from 2018 is about a guy who bumped into a film preservation executive in a lab, and from there he ended up working on archival copies of "2001: A Space Odyssey" to bring the film up to speed for an anniversary re-release. This item is very heavy on analog!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/11/movi ... annes.html

Related: a 70mm showing of the movie and an exhibit of 2001 stuff continues in the New York City area until midsummer 2020
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/23/arts ... image.html

Related: I noticed recently that TODD-AO seemed to still be in business... Elizabeth Taylor's third husband Mike Todd died in a plane crash in 1958.

I didn't know that Todd 's background was Polish and that he had changed his name. Or that Cinerama was actually started by Todd as well.

Mike_Todd#Widescreen_cinema_and_film_productions (Wikipedia link)

In the early 1960's one of the big Cinerama titles was The Brothers Grimm; the distributors took out a huge two-page ad in the Toronto Star that featured the dragon. Kids everywhere were fascinated by the special effects of guys like Ray Harryhausen (Wikipedia link) but when I eagerly showed the advertisement to my grandmother, asking if we could go, she said "Absolutely not!".

This was kind of ironic because "Baba" had fond memories of living in Dinkelsbühl, Germany after WW2... the Brothers Grimm was actually shot there and for various reasons (like the general demise of the Cinerama format???) it became difficult or perhaps even impossible to see in subsequent years, and remains a curio of sorts. And "Baba" never saw Germany again. She passed away in 1980.

Vaguely related: the German government had an HD promo clip on Youtube circa 2015 to 2020. Look for "Germany From Above 1080p".